Monday, February 5, 2007

Film Bitch Awards 2006. That's All

Whew

Every year I tear out my hair trying to decide what I'd vote for if I had an Oscar ballot. I make it more difficult by adding categories. Juggling 100 movies and private delights into something public in 8 pages of awardage and commentary in 40ish categories is not easy. But I hope it's fun to read. Every year I think 'this is insanity -- can't do this no more!' but in the end I guess I think of it as scrapbooking, like a journal of moviegoing. I may not always agree with what I once felt. Hell, I may not agree with a few of these tomorrow. But it's there for time capsules sake and, as always, to further suss out my feelings about the cinema. So maybe it is worth all the work? I hope you get something out of it, too: Rental ideas, entertainment, fodder for discussion.

Page 1 Films, Directors, Screenplays
Page 2 Performances
Page 3 Visuals
Page 4 Sound & Music (and Traditional Oscar-Awards Statistics)
Page 5 Performances (Extra Awards)
Page 6 Extras (Miscellania)
Page 7 Favorite Scenes
Page 8 Favorite Scenes and Awards Statistics
Page 9 Readers Polls: 2006

Volver and Children of Men ended up ahead of the pack with 9 medals in various categories. The Devil Wears Prada, Marie Antoinette, and The Departed were close behind with 8 each in what was essentially a strange year, with no films ever becoming as dominant in my heart as past favorites like Brokeback Mountain, A History of Violence, or Moulin Rouge!.

With my own awards out of the way, only Oscar remains. Up next: 13 more 2007 Movie Previews and the Oscar Symposium. Stay tuned.