Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Happy Halloween. May I Sleep Now?

I'm exhausted. But before I climb into my coffin filled with soil from my beloved homeland (Detroit) I thought I'd leave you with a few interesting observations about the Vampire Blog-a-Thon, which I would count as a delicious pulsating success. For those who found the list of 5o+ blogs daunting (I'm nearly finished reading them but I've been ignoring all my other responsibilities --yikes) here is an easier way to attack them all: Subject matter!

1970s Stinky Lulu (Blacula) 1980s Eddie on Film (Fright Night) * novaslim (Vamp) * My New Plaid Pants (Near Dark) 1990s Low Resolution (From Dusk Till Dawn) * No More Marriages (Innocent Blood) * * zoom-in (The Addiction) *

Bram Stokers Dracula (Francis Ford Coppola)
Nicks Flick Picks * Catherine Cantieri * Cutting Room *

Celebs as Vampires
Gallery of the Absurd (Kirsten Dunst) * Pen15 Club (Hilary Duff) * All About My Movies (Angelina Jolie ) * Glitterati (Charles Shaughnessy) *

Dracula Titles (Various)
As Little As Possible (Dracula: Dead and Loving It) * Forward to Yesterday (Dracula: Pages from a Virgins Diary) * When I Look Deep... (Drácula & Dracula) Bright Lights After Dark (Dracula, Browning) * goatdog (the dwindling fortunes of Dracula) * 100 Films (Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein)

Foreign Films
Critic After Dark (two from The Philippines) * European Films (Frostbite, Sweden) *

Hammer Horror
Cinema Fromage (Dracula AD) * popbytes (Hammer series) * Certifiably Creative (Countess Dracula) * Peter Nellhaus (Brides of Dracula )

Martin (George Romero)
Silly Hats Only * Richard Gibson * Tuwa's Shanty

Miscellaneous Blood Sucking
Flickhead (favorites) * Stale Popcorn (sexiest) * Burbanked (bloodsucking screenwriters) * Pfangirl (female vampires) * Way of Words (depictions of women) * Music is My Boyfriend (vampire music) * The Horror Blog (an anti-vampire prejudice) * Bitter Cinema (movie trailers) * Agence Eureka (gallery) * Tim Lucas (favorites) * The Boob Tubers (Spike or Angel?) * Film Vituperatum (Ninjas and Vampires -oh the similarities!) * House of Sternberg (short fiction) *

Nosferatu (Herzog)
Modern Fabulousity * Culture Snob * Cinevistaramascope * Jurgen Fauth's Muckworld *

Queer Vamps
QTA (Vampyros Lesbos) * Being Boring (Interview With the Vampire) * Watts With Words (homoeroticism) *

Vampire-Free Films (through a vampiric lens)
Cinemathematics (Shadow of a Doubt) * Auteur Lust (Persona) * Film of The Year (A Fool There Was) *

Some things I found interesting about the blog-a-thon.
  • Plenty of Herzog but very little Murnau (except for a bunch of fleeting references) in regards to Nosferatu.
  • The most frequently referenced film was Interview with the Vampire but it was rarely the main course and the references weren't usually favorable.
  • Very few recent films were covered. Blade, Underworld, Van Helsing, etc... all but ignored. Is this because they all suck? (not in the good way)
  • I thought I knew my vampire films but no... so many of these I MUST see now after reading these writeups (particularly Martin)
  • Lots of films that have no vampires were namechecked. Titles as diverse as Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II, Persona, Eraserhead, Apocalypse Now, The Green Berets, Blue Velvet, Marie Antoinette, Last Tango in Paris, and Witness popped up. But you'll have to read through the blog-a-thon to figure out why...

HAPPY HALLOWEEN