Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Globe Predictions

When I think of The Golden Globes my mind's eye often dives into Madonna's gargantuan gorgeous new mom cleavage when she won for Evita. The Globes are crazy, sucking on the teat of celebrity so shamelessly that I can't judge them for it so much as stick a kazoo in my mouth and party along. Madonna winning the top prize for Evita. That would never happen at the Oscars. But the Globes didn't care, god bless. Not that Frances McDormand didn't deserve it for Fargo mind, but my point --jumping forward a decade to 2007-- at least the HFPA doesn't always try to predict the Oscars like many of the other Academy-focused groups.

The Hollywood Foreign Press Association don't get a lot of respect and they make terrible errors (usually involving aforementioned celebrity ass-kissing --Cameron Diaz for Gangs of New York still haunts me. One of the most idiotic dull nominations ever and it cost Michelle Pfeiffer needed momentum. Aaaaargh) but, then again, point me towards the awards group that doesn't.

MY PREDICTIONS
I'm opting for some surprises (see supporting) because I'd die of boredom if I didn't.

Questions: Who do you think is getting nominated tomorrow morning at the crack of dawn? Which film is sure to get a boost? Which film or actor will be cursing the HFPA for killing off their Oscar momentum?