Monday, May 22, 2006

IMDB (International) Surprise

I just need to take a moment here to give a shout out to that online movie bible the IMDB. I have my issues with them --the year they reference after the movie title is the big one-- but most of the time I'm just grateful they exist.

Whoever is doing their little flipchart birthday thing to their right hand side is really making me proud lately. It used to be that they would only display someone currently famous along with dead legends. Even if the currently famous weren't particular moviefamous at the expense of far greater people that they could visually reference. Lately I've noticed they've stopped ignoring foreign stars. This is a very good thing. Nikolaj Lie Kaas, pictured to your left, is up there today and that puts a smile on my face. He made my Top 100 Countdown if you'll recall and anyone who doesn't know who he is ought to rent themselves Lars Von Trier's The Idiots or last year's Brothers, immediately. Takk skal du ha IMDB. (That's Norwegian not Danish but I don't know any Dansk, sorry.)

For Scandinavian readers. Please click here than answer me this What are Mads Mikkelsen and Nikolaj and all these other Danish stars recording? Are they singing? Am i correct in guessing it's a tsunami relief song? Is it any good? And if so how do I hear this? I'm filled with questions.


And a comment starter for international readers: please feel free to name a favorite actor/actress from your home country in the comments --someone you feel deserves a more international spotlight. Who knows...maybe you'll help another reader to discover them.

tags: Tsunami, Denmark, film