Sunday, May 28, 2006

She Wears the Pants

On this day way back in 1923 the Attorney General determined that women could wear trousers at any time. I know it's bizarre to think that that was once illegal (or at least highly objectionable) but there you go. Times change.

I thought Katharine Hepburn would have to usher the day in, being one of the first famous actresses to help normalize the fashion for our nation's women... although I could have just as easily gone with a photo of Marlene Dietrich --another *ahem* cross-dresser of the 30s if you consider women in pants to be gender-bending --which you probably don't but which people clearly did back in the day.

If I had more time, I'd offer you a gallery of glamourous women in pants to celebrate but since time is short feel free to list your hottest film memory of a woman in pants in the comments. Mine would probably have to be ONJ in Grease --there's all those apocryphal stories that they actually sewed her into those hot pants. Whatever they did, it works.

I had chills. It was electrifying.

tags: Katharine Hepburn, Marlene Dietrich, movies, film, fashion, Grease