Wednesday, April 12, 2006

B For Box Office

I'm not really a box office guy (readers: no duh) but every once in a while I check in on it, just to see what hijinx the American people are up to. Whether they're conspiring with Hollywood's dullest minds to destroy the cinema or perhaps disobeying ad budgets and giving marketing execs heart palpitations, etc... Here's what people are flocking to in 2006

1 Ice Age: The Meltdown $118+
2 The Pink Panther $81+
3 Eight Below $79+
4 Failure to Launch $79+
5 Big Momma's House 2 $69+
6 Inside Man $66+
7 Tyler Perry's Madea's Family Reunion $63+
8 V for Vendetta $62+
9 Underworld: Evolution $62+
10 Curious George $57+

My first reaction: I thought everyone hated Underworld and The Pink Panther? I guess not. And I can't resist: All of these films, even Curious George are more popular than Crash was last year --and yet, the media kept telling me that that was this huge audience favorite. Like a Big Fat Greek Wedding or something. Curious George Media! I sometimes don't get these things at all. Your thoughts?