Thursday, May 4, 2006

The First "Best Picture"

I don't know how many of you read The Malcontent but I really like their "day in history" column. I wasn't aware that The Malcontent's regulars didn't. So I'm glad it's staying after the results of an unfavorable poll over there. Anything that prompts a blog entry is good. Today is, I just learned, the day back in 1927 when the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences was formed. They're better known as simply "The Academy" or "The Oscars" Oscar obsessives can often be overheard calling them simply "AMPAS". Since 1927 the Oscars have been praised, discussed, vilified, coveted, imitated, and watched by billions including me you and virtually everyone we know...Wings was the first AMPAS choice for "Best Picture" although it was called "Production" at the time.

If you've never seen Wings you really should. I saw it for the first time in the late 80s at a revival house. I recognize that not everyone loves silent films in the way that I do but it's important to see because it's an historical landmark, the first Oscar winner. It's also a surprisingly gripping and emotional action film and the love triangle which will seem all kinds of stale now probably wasn't in 1927 before we'd seen the two men in love with the same woman (but really more concerned with each other) story we've seen thousands of times since. And this movie stars Charles 'Buddy' Rogers who is all kinds of dreamy. Some other nobodies like Clara Bow and Gary Cooper are also in it (just kidding. But seriously --Charles 'Buddy' Rogers!)

In non Wings related news, I've been on a movie blitz lately, trying to catch up on things I missed before the summer films start hitting tomorrow which is why the posts have been fewer. I'm not quite ready to say anything about United 93 but I'll start talking soon I hope. I've been missing my frequent filmgoing schedule.