Thursday, May 4, 2006

Long Live the Queens

Thursday Triple
Today my life feels too peasant-like. Not at all fanned, honored, fussed over, or bejewelled. So I'm thinking of movie royalty. Here are three queens I love from the movies. Name yours in the comments.

Queen Elizabeth (Dame Judi Dench in Shakespeare in Love)
Had I an Oscar to give for 1998's supporting ladies it would have gone to Patricia Clarkson in High Art but, alas, I had not one to donate. That said, I was fine with where it went. This is (by far) my favorite Dench performance. Absolutely rich, hilarious, and pitch perfect.

Titania, Queen of the Fairies (Pfeiffer in A Midsummer Night's Dream)
Shakespeare doesn't exactly suit La Pfeiffer but as early as my first flush of obsession for her I dreamt of her and Rupert Everett as co-stars. It says so in a movie scrapbook I kept at the time. I have proof! So I was thrilled to see them paired as the fairie royals: glittery, gauzy bliss (at least visually)

Queen Margot (Isabelle Adjani in La Reine Margot)
My favorite movie queen. This film thrilled me so much on opening night that I went back again the next day (I've done that maybe three times total in my life). If you've never seen La Reine Margot--if you've been ignoring my pitches for it over the years, stop resisting. This lush, romantic, gripping historical epic shows Hollywood how grandiose period pieces are done. Plus it's hot.