Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Getting Back in the Oscar Mood

Usually round about this time I do a halfway mark / Oscar article. I'm not sure I'm ready for that just yet. I mean, what has happened really? But stirred on by the fun (?) discussion about the Actress from Hell Oscar list ... let's do the penile version.

Best Actor Shortlist From Hell
or: Nathaniel's least favorite nominations for lead actor (2000-2005)


Michael Caine The Quiet American (2002)
I remain blind to his apparently obvious brilliance. Obvious to Oscar at least.
Russell Crowe A Beautiful Mind (2001)
Too mannered for me. Plus he'd just won so it's even more of an overkill.
Johnny Depp Finding Neverland (2004)
So muted that everything that's special about him is lost. Plus, the film sucks.
Sean Penn I Am Sam (2001)
This will be the least controversial choice. I'm so glad he has an Oscar now so they don't feel compelled to nominate him on the rare occassions when he specifically takes a role because he wants them to love him. And now, maybe he won't take another role like this. Unless he wants to be as well respected as Hilary Swank. Then we're all in trouble.
Geoffrey Rush Quills (2000)
See also: Michael Caine. Only moreso.

And the winner is I dunno... Geoffrey Rush in Quills. Damnit he still gets a prize. I guess it's unavoidable. Some thespians are magnets that way. Of this bunch I guess I don't know for sure who I'd say is worse. Depends on which peeve is my current pet.

Now, in the comments: Which five of the past 30 nominees make up your shortlist from Oscar hell?