Monday, August 21, 2006

The Little Children Trailer

UPDATE: Link to Trailer

Yesterday I went to two movies but the highlight of the day was seeing the trailer for Little Children. I just about did a standing ovation.


The trailer is inspired and evocative and showcases (if I'm remembering it correctly) Kate Winslet in a red bathing suit, Patrick Wilson sans shirt, and Jennifer Connelly in bed. They all look positively luscious... and if you've read the book you'll know that all three are cast superbly. I wish that I could link to it but I can't find it on the internet yet. It manages to set up the central adulterous romance between two parents and smartly opts out of much dialogue. Instead it uses Patrick's little boy and his toy train sound cue "chugga-chugga-chug" --this train is headed for a collison --to set up the story's escalating tensions. Love it. If the film delivers on the promise of this trailer, we have a real winner.

This trailer is so sophisticated and smart that I fully expect people to hate it. I remember quite well how brilliant I thought the The Devil Wears Prada trailer gamble was (just that scene of the two main characters meeting, what a setup. YES. I want to see more) but there were a number of people who thought that that was a foolish way to sell your movie. I love unconventional approaches. Most of all I love trailers that give me a feel for what the movie will be like moodwise and leave the rest to my imagination. Please don't bore me with the plot. This is an appetizer not the meal.

Little Children opens on October 6th in NY and LA.

Previous Little Children posts:
Coming Soon (But Not Soon Enough)