Monday, August 7, 2006

Shame on Winona

This article about Winona Ryder's "shame" about her "shallow occupation" made me laugh out loud. Which is probably not the reaction our dear Veronica Sawyer was hoping for when she said this:
For a long time I was ashamed of being an actress. I felt like it was a shallow occupation.
The thing is...Acting is only a shallow occupation if you're not good at it. What's the shame in contributing to cathartic dramatic or comedic experiences for millions of people or illuminating some aspect of the human condition?

Now if she feels shame about her [airquote] performances [/airquote] in Dracula or The Crucible then I'll just put my arm around her sympathetically and admire her self-awareness. But as it stands now I wish she'd have been a little more specific with this reporter. [src]

I'm sorry was that mean? It's said with love.