Wednesday, December 6, 2006

Giant Rabbits, Sidewalk Cows, Transcendental Meditation, Oh My

It's David Lynch Day in NYC - his new film, Inland Empire, opened up here today. Then tomorrow, in Slovakia. Of course. By next week it'll be winding its way through the country like overgrown grass through a mysteriously severed ear.

I don't have much to say about Inland Empire at this juncture; I am, as with all things Lynch, a bit confounded and at a loss for words even before seeing the film, and will probably remain that way well after actually viewing it. I may try and go this weekend since the boyfriend's out of town and he had such a violently negative response to Mulholland Drive that I can't even bring up Lynch to him without hearing that again. He's not anti-Lynch - Blue Velvet is one of his favorite films - but he's of the mind-set that MD was proof that Lynch has nothing more to say and is simply copying his old ideas ad nauseum (emphasis on nausea) into oblivion. I... disagree, and loved MD, but I guess we have to have something to argue about to keep things interesting.

Anyway, the trailer for Inland Empire popped up online just a couple of days ago, and you can see it below. Reviews of the film, so far, are... long-winded and obtuse (cough Dargis cough), for the most part, as Ol' Man Lynch always, thankfully, seems to inspire.



.