Thursday, December 14, 2006

See It, I Must

Movie awards obsessives will understand this. No one else will. One of the most trying things about this cursed affliction (awards fascination) is that, should a major awards group decide that a movie is worthy of something or other --even though it initially looked like it was going nowhere with Oscar, you suddenly have to see it. Even if you have no earthly desire to do so. It's the completist instinct.

I speak of ... Bobby. Rotten on the tomato-meter but now, a Golden Globe Best Picture nominee.

I speak of ... Apocalypto. Which has been described by people I trust as a snuff film of sorts. Ewwww. And now it's looking like a possible Oscar nominee in technical categories.

I speak of ... Blood Diamond. Which looks like all the other Edward Zwick movies about the trials of ethnic folk and the white people who save them (The Last Samurai, Glory). I never like these movies and they make me angry because I l-o-v-e Zwick's television work (his true calling) and these white liberal guilt epics are preventing him from making them.

Argh!

This could be a very long weekend at the movies.