Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Once More Into the Web. No... Twice More

Tobey Maguire's Spider-Man 4 & 5 deals are super-sweet. $50 million plus for two films back to back with lots of time off for being Daddy Maguire, too. Score for Hollywood parents there... [Spider-Man's creators Stan Lee and Steve Ditko never pocketed this kind of change. Anywayyyy. That's another topic] Color me shocked that this is actually happening --not the money but the films... and so soon, too. I love the first two franchise entries with all of my superpowerless heart but can't they quit while they're behind? Spider-Man 3 was just... (sigh). I still have to eat my feelings when I think about it.

The news currently hints that Kirsten 'Mary Jane' Dunst is either still in talks or that the studio is trying to decide how to announce her departure. I love my Kiki (despite that love winning me no fans) but I hope she's out. That'll give her more time to pursue more creative performance challenges. And as an added bonus if she departs: Mary Jane's absence would force the filmmaking team to come up with a new emotional dynamic rather than repeating themselves twice more. Comic book relationships do tend to cycle endlessly (Superman & Lois / Peter & Mary Jane / Scott Summers & various incarnations of Jean Grey) but in movies... well, that constant retelling dynamic doesn't work as well.

Sam Raimi is a resourceful, creative director. He should be able to find a way to keep Peter Parker's moony-eyed feelings in play even without his on again/off again girl in the mix. What's more, Raimi should. Spider-Man's unashamed earnestness (some might say corny sincerity) provide a nice counter-balance in the superhero movie culture. It's decidedly different than the stuff that's in vogue, i.e. the fanboy comfort foods moods; Batman dark, Iron Man snark, Wolverine bark.

Good luck to all.
*