Thursday, September 4, 2008

Vampires x 4

Flipping channels in my hotel room it occurred to me that I had HBO and that I could watch True Blood. Sadly, it hasn't yet debuted at this writing. It's been too long since something vampiric caught my eye. I love the bloodsuckers as you know. Herewith, four favorite neck biting things...


1. Buffy the Vampire Slayer is so easily my all time favorite vampire property that it's tough to remind myself that I actually loved the children of the night long before Buffy ever moved to Sunnydale. In fact, I loved them back in grade school when the only thing "Buffy" signified to me was the little sister of a girl named Emily that I crushed on. 2. Homoerotic Vampires. Bless Anne Rice for bringing this subgenre to the mainstream (I still love thinking of Brad Pitt's 'little death' in the Interview movie) but I'm letting Poppy Z Brite's Lost Souls stand in here for the photographic representation of vampires who bite both necks and pillows. 3. Near Dark (1987) which you have not seen. tsk tsk. "finger lickin' good" 4. Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992). The best vampire movie ever may well be Werner Herzog's Nosferatu but this is the one I always think of when the subject arises, both for its miracles and its follies, either of which can arguably and accurately represent what vampires are capable of if you manage to catch their reflection on celluloid.

Are you excited for HBO's True Blood?

Or is the media correcting in trumpeting your total obsession with awaiting Twilight's arrival in December?

And given this impending next wave of undead fervor --the vampires may yet steal the beastly movie crown back from the zombies who now control it -- why didn't CBS think to stick it out one more season with Moonlight?

I always have so many bloody questions. Give me lots of answers.
*