Thursday, September 11, 2008

Coming October 6th: Cabin in the Sky (1943)

Your votes decided it. October 6th's "Musical of the Month" Event will focus on the groundbreaking Cabin in the Sky (1943) so put it on your rental queue, post haste --you know how time flies.

Here, I'll help you: Netflix and Blockbuster (strangely GreenCine doesn't have)

This famous production, which dared to use an all African American cast back in 1943 when many theaters refused to play such films (my how far we've come), has only been available on DVD for a couple of years now. I'm sure many of you, like me, haven't seen it.

Cabin comes from a legendary director of the musicals (this was Vincent Minnelli's first gig as lead director) and features genuine musical superstars (Lena Horne, Duke Ellington, Louis Armstrong!) as well as Ethel Waters and Butterfly McQueen... so give it a try. I'm hoping that the more adventurous blogs out there will join in on this one.