Saturday, February 7, 2009

We Can't Wait #13 The Road

Directed by John Hillcoat
Starring Viggo Mortensen, Kodi Smit-McPhee, Charlize Theron, Guy Pearce and Robert Duvall
Synopsis In a post-apocalyptic world a father and son travel around the wasted country side trying to find food, water, and shelter in the most hostile environment imaginable.
Brought to You By 2929 Productions
Expected Release Date TBA


Whitney: Cormac McCarthy has a way of writing that lends itself to the screen. Coming from the director of The Proposition, the screen captures we've seen so far are looking pretty dead on. This novel reads almost like a vague script, focusing on quick images and horrifying details that leaves a lot to the imagination, and yet leaves a clear nightmare with you long after reading. I actually just received a copy as a wedding present!

Nathaniel: To be given The Road as a wedding present is... is... someone help me out here. What's the word I'm looking for? Were you registered at Survivalists R' Us?



Fox: Is it gonna be inevitable that audiences will compare The Road adaptation to No Country For Old Men? Is that fair? But that's gotta be in the back of everyone's mind who is involved with this film. Seeing that The Road is a post-apocalyptic tale and that The Proposition kinda felt like a post-apocalyptic Western, the teaming up of John Hillcoat with this story seems fitting, but I wonder what the result will be. I always love watching Viggo, and Robert Duvall is simply one of the most badass men ever!

JA: I think moving The Road to this year from last actually helped it step somewhat out of the shadow of NCFOM; whereas the thought was on my mind when thinking of this film last year, it hadn't occured to me this go-around until you brought it up. NCFOM-mania seems so long ago now, doesn't it?

McCarthy's book wounded me. I tend to always be reading a book - finish one, pick right up the next - but post-Road I couldn't read anything for months. I can't imagine what it did to Oprah's Book Club. If the movie retains even a tenth of the power of the book it'll be an amazing feat, and I really dug The Proposition so I think Hillcoat might be able to wrangle an even higher percentage than that. Hell, if he captures even a smidgen of the essence of the scene in the basement - if you've read the book I think you know of which I speak - this film is gonna leave a mark.

Nathaniel: As the only one of us whose seen the movie already (albeit in work print form) I shall remain mum. Other than to say that I'm so curious to see what they tweaked, what they finessed, what survived...

Which is always an appropriate question for The Road. What survives?

In case you missed any entries they went like so...
*
We Can't Wait:
#1 Inglourious Basterds, #2 Where the Wild Things Are, #3 Fantastic Mr. Fox,
#4 Avatar, #5 Bright Star, #6 Shutter Island, #7 Scott Pilgrim vs. The World
#8 Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus, #9 Nailed,
#10 Taking Woodstock,
#11 Watchmen, #12 The Hurt Locker, #13 The Road, #14 The Tree of Life
#15 Away We Go, #16 500 Days of Summer, #17 Drag Me To Hell,
#18 Whatever Works, #19 Broken Embraces, #20 Nine (the musical)
intro (orphans -didn't make group list)

*