Tuesday, February 10, 2009

We Can't Wait #10 Taking Woodstock

Directed by Ang Lee
Starring Demetri Martin, Emile Hirsch, Liev Schreiber, Paul Dano, Kelli Garner, Imelda Staunton, Jeffrey Dean Morgan.
Synopsis: Gay ol' Demetri and his life in the Catskills get caught up in the Woodstock hoopla in the summer of 1969.
Brought to You By Focus Features
Expected Release Date
August 14

Ang Lee on set / author Elliot Tiber / Emile Hirsch on set

Joe: Ang Lee gays up another aspect of the modern American mythology. First cowboys, now the counterculture. Are we nervous about an unproven lead actor? Are we overestimating the gay factor?

Fox: I wonder how much Lee has to do to gay up of '60s counterculture in the first place. I mean, it was pretty gay already with the free love and all, right? Or, did the free love still kinda exclude the dude-on-dude action?

JA: It's Ang. I'm there. Also I'm hoping to find Emile Hirsch cute and appealing again, after being the only person who didn't think he was either in Milk. Win me back, Emile! If you wanna make out with Demetri in order to find my good graces, they do lay in that general direction.






Whitney:
Demetri in an Ang Lee movie is the funniest thing I've heard since I heard Demetri's last stand up. I'm always a little so-so on Mr. Lee, but I'm really interested in Taking Woodstock.

Nathaniel: I haven't read up much on this one yet (though info is mere pages away) but I like Demetri and the supporting cast is intriguing / strong. Most importantly, what I've found is that it doesn't quite matter what the theme, time period or milieu is, Ang Lee will find a way to burrow in under the skin of it and make it his very own. His Woodstock will soon be ours for the taking. And after Eat Drink Man Woman, Sense & Sensibility, The Ice Storm, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, Brokeback Mountain and Lust Caution, why wouldn't we wanna take?

In case you missed any entries they went like so...
*
We Can't Wait:
#1 Inglourious Basterds, #2 Where the Wild Things Are, #3 Fantastic Mr. Fox,
#4 Avatar, #5 Bright Star, #6 Shutter Island, #7 Scott Pilgrim vs. The World
#8 Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus, #9 Nailed,
#10 Taking Woodstock,
#11 Watchmen, #12 The Hurt Locker, #13 The Road, #14 The Tree of Life
#15 Away We Go, #16 500 Days of Summer, #17 Drag Me To Hell,
#18 Whatever Works, #19 Broken Embraces, #20 Nine (the musical)
intro (orphans -didn't make group list)

*