Saturday, February 21, 2009

2008 FB AWARDS Completed

Whew. So that took even longer than usual. Which is saying a lot. I've been giving out some kind of virtual awards for my favorite movies since I was a wee kid... only they weren't public back when I was only seeing 12-15 movies a year and I thought Karate Kid and Splash ruled! I like to think of my own nominations and medals not so much as a publicity circus / popularity contest like the Oscars but more like a scrapbook of a moviegoing year. [editors note: Pssst. When December 2009 rolls around I plan to have a book of some sort ready for purchase celebrating 10 years of these awards. I hope you'll buy it to support the site.]

Nominations and medals in all 41 categories are up since, well, time is up!

FiLM BiTCH Awards 2008
traditional
Page 1: Picture, Director and Screenplays
Page 2: Traditional Acting Categories
Page 3: Visual Technical Categories
Page 4: Aural Technical Categories (and nom' tallies)
extras
Page 5: Extra Acting Categories
Page 6: Heroes, Villains, Divas, more...
Page 7: Best Individual Scenes
Page 8: Even More Scenes (and nom' tallies)


The last categories I added were Action Sequence and Best Individual Scenes in case you missed that as I did it on the sly in the wee hours last night. Rachel Getting Married led the pack with 16 nominations but WALL•E took home the most medals of various colors, 11. Milk and The Wrestler did well for themselves. The Class (France) and Reprise (Norway), my two favorite foreign films of '08 also scored gold. The Dark Knight and Australia were the most honored films that I didn't wholly take to but they sure had great moments.

Nathaniel is a francophile. French films hogged 17 noms / 7 medals

I hope you enjoy the awards and above all I hope you take this in the spirit it was intended. A nomination is a win after all. I enjoy nominating things more than picking wins which always feels so exclusive and which I always wish I could change days later (like the 5th spot in any category after nominations, actually). I always hope the awards inspire amusement, discussion starters and especially rental fodder. These 41 categories of things, people, elements, scenes, stars are what made it all worthwhile for me in 2008. I love the cinema. We fight sometimes but we always kiss and make up in the end.

up next: Indie Spirits live blogging today @ 4:30 PM. Oscar coverage and review over the next few days. Then on to 2009. Wheeeee
*