Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Pfixating on Pfeiffer

UPDATE. The blessed time has arrived.
Follow this link to the THE BLOG-A-THON on April 27th starting at 9 PM


Exactly one month from today Michelle Pfeiffer, the most beautiful blonde on the planet (give or take Deneuve across the pond), celebrates her 48th birthday. A few months after that the goddess will finally return to the screen after a four year absence.

Q: So why am I mentioning La Pfeiffer now?
A: I am calling for a blogathon in her honor on April 28th. That's the day before her birthday, but we want people in a Pfeifferian mood for the weekend.

If you're thinking "blog-a-whatnow???" allow me to point you to Girish's blog. Girish and assorted cineastic-fantastic company have been doing these for a couple of months now. They've covered Showgirls , bad boy auteur Abel Ferrara and Michael Haneke's Code Unknown. It's a blast to read a bunch of different voices mulling over the same topic all in one day. Just to shake up that very academic-friendly lineup and keep everyone on their toes, I'd love to see multiple takes on a mainstream actor. There is an element of self-service here as well, I do readily admit. I want the blogosphere focused on my own (sometimes irrational) obsession for just one day. Michelle Pfeiffer is my primary film siren: the beauty that did lure me to my cinematic doom two decades ago. Now I am forever throwing myself against the jagged rocks of Hollywood, always hoping to be transported again by a memorable face, an indelible moment, a seductive song.

You don't have to lick Catwoman's heels or stand at attention when she makes whoopee on that piano to join in. You just have to write about her; a particular performance, general thoughts, stream-of-thought ravings, her place in the pantheon, her would-be successors, your dream role for her, etc... anything Pfeifferian.

If you would like to participate...e-mail me
If you would just like to read all the articles, come back to the blog on friday morning april 28th for the complete roster of links.