Thursday, September 14, 2006

2006 (So Far): Best Supporting Actress

In the year so far happy postings this week, I've covered lead actor, lead actress, supporting actor --all of the acting categories but this. Now, we come to a screeching halt. For how on earth can I choose without more time to mull this over? I sometimes think that StinkyLulu was right to choose "actressing on the edges" as his #1 film obsession: supporting actresses are often the most enjoyable colors on a directors palette.

How can I choose five when this year is rich with possibility. Oh, sure I'll have to once the Film Bitch Awards roll out but for now, I don't want to part with any of the supporting ladies I love.


So I'm planting my feet and I aint budging. Let me enjoy these women awhile long before I'm forced to boot some or all of them out of the way to make room for the Fall season girls who manage to blow my mind.

My favorites thus far
Emily Blunt as "Emily" in The Devil Wears Prada Comedic bliss.

Abigail Breslin and Toni Collette as "Olive" and "Sheryl" in Little Miss Sunshine As ever Collette is 100% real and winning, even in the least juicy of roles. Abigail proves herself one of the best child actors working.

Edie Falco in Freedomland. Joe Reid already said what I wanted to say.

Maggie Gyllenhaal as "Elaine" in Trust the Man (already discussed) and "Allison" in World Trade Center. She's on fire this year. The Year of Jake (also known as 2005) must have lit a fire under her. We reap the rewards. Add these women to her Sherrybaby and you'll see three very different characters, all more impressive than the films which house them.

Catherine Keener and Frances McDormand in Friends with Money. I already discussed them here and a bit in my review.

Danny Perea as "Rita" in Duck Season who is charming and matter-of-fact funny as a bored neighbor whose birthday is forgotten. Why haven't any of you seen this yet? How much have I begged? No more excuses: You can get it on DVD.

Meryl Streep and Lily Tomlin as "Yolanda and Rhonda Johnson" in A Prairie Home Companion They gave us an enticing taste of their sister act at the Oscars (video) but the real thing was even better. I love this film more than most.

*

Which supporting actress did it for you this year?

Tags: Meryl Streep, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Oscars, films, Academy Awards, movies