Tuesday, September 26, 2006

"I don't mind if I don't have any lines as long as I get to wear the crown."


This lovely photo is taken by Robert Maxwell. That quippy quote in the title line is ascribed to Dame Helen Mirren herself. They are both featured in the "Profiles" section of the October 2nd New Yorker (not available online currently). If the media keeps fawning on Mirren like this it's going to be hard for anyone else to get competitive traction in the Best Actress Oscar race.

It's a great profile by John Lahr with some really fine quotes from Mirren enthusiasts and Mirren herself. Like the following:
You know that kind of ensemble feeling -'We're all in this together.' No, actually, we're not all in this together. I am the queen. I am the star, and you know, suck it up.
Hee. I love it. The Queen hits the big cities on October 6th, which is shaping up to be the most exciting Friday of the year: Shortbus, Little Children, and The Departed are all experiencing their opening weekends together. If you live in one of the major markets you better splurge for a jumbo popcorn with free refills.