Thursday, September 7, 2006

What Did Fernanda Do To Deserve This?

SCANDAL: Reedited version of crappy gay comedy now stars Brazil's preeminent actress, Fernanda Montenegro!

Or at least that's where my mind took me when seeing that signage (pictured above) courtesy of the NYC's tiniest movie theater.

My apologies to the great Montenegro (who you'll remember with awe from her legendary work in Oscar nominee Central Station). What did she ever do to deserve this? House of Sand, the new Brazilian drama about generations of mothers and daughters in the desert, isn't a classic but Fernanda's very presence demands a degree of respect. She shouldn't be forced to share a shoebox sized theater with the screaming queens of Another Gay Movie.

Nor does she deserve the abuse from my overactive photoshopping. But the marquee made me laugh and I had my camera and ... and ... oh, forgive me Fernanda!


But, say, while you're in there, please kill whoever overacts first.

Obrigada!