Monday, January 22, 2007

Siskel & Ebert Nick & Nathaniel

As many of you know, Nick Davis (of Nicks Flick Picks) and I are friends in real life. Here's a weird thing you might not have noticed if you don't read us both regularly: we don't agree all that often. We both go nutso for 70s Altman, yes. We're both shameless actressexuals, it's true. We have sympatico moviegoing urges (We'll actually walk to movie theaters if we have to. Even if it's miles away. Even if it's uphill in both directions. During a blizzard). But beyond that: not so much in the way of total agreement.

So, if we had our own show we'd be arguing all the time, like Roger Ebert did back when he had a formidable co-chair. For instance, our top ten lists will be diverging considerably this year --his is due within the next week. But he went and gave almost all of my favorites B or B minuses this year which means he's treating my babies like I treated Oscar's favored pups this year (i.e. 'yeah, they're OK -- what else ya got beeyotch?') So when we do agree I feel even more prone to linking. Check out this happy "Block Party 2006" --it's the titles that made moviegoing fun last year. I second all of the recommendations I've seen and I'm adding the ones I haven't to my Netflix queue. Nick's also got his Oscar predictions posted -- can't say I agree there but it's a good funny read.

My final Oscar predictions will be up by approximately 2:30 PM EST