Tuesday, October 23, 2007

DVDs: Zombies, Kubrick and Lancaster

Mmmm brains
Fido –It's a zombie comedy --apparently Shaun of the Dead needed company. It's also a period piece (!) and stars Dylan Baker (Spider-Man 3) as well as Billy Connolly (White Oleander) who plays the title zombie, a family "pet".

But get this: longtime Film Experience reader and fellow Pfeiffer enthusiast Mike Azevedo (pictured, left) plays one of the zombies. How cool is that? I hope Mike asked Billy what it was like to be poisoned by Michelle Pfeiffer herself!

Also
Hostel Part 2
–If you wanna see Dawn Weiner (aka Heather Matarazzo) get sliced up this is the movie for you. Not for me though
Meet the Robinsons –this past Spring's animated hit
Mr. Brooks -Demi Moore, Kevin Costner, and William Hurt are all in the same movie, folding the space time continuum over and returning us all to 1988. Not a bad year at all but still... Note: For some reason Dane Cook is there too. That I can't figure. But I don't even understand why he's in 2007.

From the Vaults
Burt Lancaster: The Signature Collection -He swashbuckled, he conned, he made hot love to Deborah Kerr on Hawaiian beaches and stared at Susan Sarandon lemony breasts... this manly Oscar winner did a lot of cool guy things. But this collection doesn't feature any of that. Instead it offers up The Flame and the Arrow, Jim Thorpe All-American, His Majesty O'Keefe, South Sea Woman and Executive Action. Also: How much would David Lynch have loved Burt's crazy follicular style?

Kubrick Specials
Eyes Wide Shut – a special edition for those of you who take the movie seriously. I know that’s many of you. Despite my amusement at watching a sexless film end with Nicole Kidman's matter of fact come on order "Let’s f***” I’ve always disliked this movie. Maybe we'll talk about it sometime. Maybe not. Maybe I just can't look past the hilarity of CGI people blocking the naughty parts from my virgin eyes. Maybe I don't know why Nicole Kidman is reading all her lines like she's stoned. Maybe I don't understand why Tom Cruise is in it
2001: A Space Odyssey -the seminal classic
A Clockwork Orange -the future shock dystopia
Full Metal Jacket -I haven't seen this one. Abuse me in the comments
The Shining –I wish I loved this movie (a great one) as much as everyone else but I have such issues with the ending (otherwise I love it as much as you). The finale takes me out of chilling fear and plops me into Twilight Zone silly. On a less serious note: I sometimes think that "30 Second Bunny Theater" has passed its expiration date but their their reenactment of this film is one of their best.
...If by know you're suspecting that I'm the least Kubrick mad cinephile alive... well, maybe. It's not that I dislike his filmography. I'm just agnostic about it.