Monday, October 15, 2007

NYFF: The End

The 45th Annual New York Film Festival is a wrap and I need to get closure (so behind on everything else) Here at the Experience I tie everything off with awards. If I could be hooked up to an IV awards drip, I would.

Todd Haynes & Michelle Williams with Bob Dylans #5 (Blanchett), 1 (Franklin) and 6 (Gere)

Best of the Fest (note: I was only able to see 14 films given my workload)
Picture, Director: (tie --don't make me choose yet) Cristian Mungui's 4 Months 3 Weeks and 2 Days and The Coen Bros' No Country For Old Men
Actor, Lead: Javier Bardem, No Country For Old Men (maybe supporting. Still deciding)
Actor, Supporting: Max Von Sydow, Diving Bell and Butterfly
Actress, Lead: Do-Yeon Jeon, Secret Sunshine
Actress, Supporting: Charlotte Gainsbourg, I'm Not There
Ensemble: The "Bob Dylans" in I'm Not There
Cinematography: (tie) Roger Deakins for No Country For Old Men and Edward Lachmann for I'm Not There
Art Direction: Blade Runner: The Final Cut (I know it's 25 years old but it deserves all art direction prizes for the last quarter century, don't you think?)
Costume Design: (tie) Mic Cheminal for A Girl Cut in Two and John Dunne for I'm Not There
Score: Olivier Bernet for Persepolis
Best Kiss: finale, The Romance of Astrée and Celadon
Best Gratuitous Nudity for Which We Thank The Filmmaker: Marisa Tomei in Before the Devil Knows You're Dead (unfortunate side effect: Phillip Seymour Hoffman nudity)
Best Opening Scene: I'm Not There and Margot at the Wedding
Best Ending: 4 Months 3 Weeks and 2 Days

The Q&A Awards
Most Pompous: Julian Schnabel, The Diving Bell and Butterfly (not that he didn't have competition)
Most Confused: Catherine Breillat's translator, The Last Mistress (the director switched from only somewhat intelligible English to French and back again often, and within the same sentence)
Question Devouring Host: Lisa Schwarzbaum EW (seriously Lisa, let the audience have a turn)
Funniest: Waris Ahluwalia, The Darjeeling Limited
Most Articulate: Todd Haynes, I'm Not There
Charm Machine: Patty Clarkson, Married Life
Most Distractingly Sexy: Javier Bardem, No Country...
Best Dressed: Nicole Kidman, Margot at the Wedding
Most Freakishly Robotic: Nicole Kidman -Margot at the Wedding. Y'all know I lurve her but it was like her face turned off when questions weren't address to her and then suddenly, gears shifting rapidly *whrrr [click] bzzt* body leans in, face "on" and she answers the question with articulate automated response and *whrr --bzzzt* questions answered, body leans back, face shuts off again. Creepy (but I still love ya Nic' --If you're not entirely human, that makes you the most talented cyborg actor of all time!)
Special 'Did Not Want to Be There' Prize: The Coen Bros (not that they didn't have competition)

If you missed any of the articles on the festival, click the NYFF label below