Thursday, September 3, 2009

Cate Convalescing

This may surprise those among you who think the worst of me for my occasionally vocalized Blagnostichettism but I spent all day inbetween deadlines worrying about Cate Blanchett and her head injury. In case you missed it, she was struck on the head in Sydney yesterday while performing Blanche Dubois in A Streetcar Named Desire. Live theater is dangerous! Seems that Stanley Kowalski -- ever the brute -- threw a radio at her. Maybe Stanley's (Joel Edgerton) aim wasn't true or Cate altered her blocking that night but the prop wasn't supposed to actually hit her.


I'm relieved to read that she's reportedly fine... but I'm still a little nervous. Head injuries are notoriously unpredictable. Gifted actresses are a precious commodity and should never ever ever come to harm. Especially not while they're in the middle of working their magic.

I don't really hear people vocalize this so much but do you think Blanche DuBois is the female equivalent of Hamlet? That Mount Everest role that every acclaimed actor feels compelled to climb.