Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Snub! The Story of Snub

Each year the Academy's documentary branch finds a new way to enrage film fans everywhere. This year's big casualty: Anvil! The Story of Anvil, the blissfully reviewed heavy metal documentary (my review). That unforgettable music doc's Oscar snub is unsurprising but in a way it only strengthens the movie, adding yet one more pitiable chord of try-try-try never succeed to the engrossing story -- think The Wrestler by way of Spinal Tap if you haven't seen it. Ewwww, I just pitched a movie as two other movies. I am SO sorry. I hate myself right now.

Other big name docs that got the thumbs down: We Live in Public, The September Issue, Tyson and Capitalism: A Love Story. My favorite doc of the year, Prodigal Sons, was not eligible for some sort of funding reason... I'm a little unclear on why.

Here are the 15 finalists that the AMPAS voters actually did love. Five of these will go on to be [drumroll please] ...Oscar Nominees. [cymbal crash]
  • The Beaches of Agnes Agnes Varda (yay!)
  • Burma VJ Anders Ostergaard
  • The Cove Louie Psihoyos
  • Every Little Step James D. Stern and Adam Del Deo (my review)
  • Facing Ali Pete McCormack
  • Food, Inc. Robert Kenner
  • Garbage Dreams Mai Iskander
  • Living in Emergency: Stories of Doctors Without Borders Mark N. Hopkins
  • The Most Dangerous Man in America: Daniel Ellsberg and the Pentagon Papers Judith Ehrlich and Rick Goldsmith
  • Mugabe and the White African Andrew Thompson and Lucy Bailey
  • Sergio Greg Barker
  • Soundtrack for a Revolution Bill Guttentag and Dan Sturman
  • Under Our Skin Andy Abrahams Wilson
  • Valentino The Last Emperor Matt Tyrnauer
  • Which Way Home Rebecca Cammisa
I have absolutely nothing to say about the actual semi-finalists because I've seen but one of them. I don't even know what half of them are about. I'll correct that soon. Valentino at least awaits me and I'm anxious to get to it. More on these titles eventually.
*