Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Halfway House: Hoop Dreams

The universe has conspired against me this week in various ways to admit this shameful confession: I have never seen Hoop Dreams, the one that always makes Greatest Documentaries and Worst Oscar Snubs lists. I can't really explain this except that my ears are allergic to the sound of shoes squeaking on gymnasium floors, which is like the omnipresent soundtrack of basketball. And it's as proud and loud as anything John Williams or Philip Glass would ever write. I hate that sound.

Out of curiosity I skipped to the movie's halfway point... 85 minutes in. Some older men are discussing which schools are most "involved" and then a young basketball player talks about the points he scored while mimicking scouts watching him. Then he eats pizza (mmm) with fellow players.


I'd quote it since he seems like an endearing character, this #41, but his accent is halfway impenetrable to me... probably one of those things where if I was watching the whole movie I'd be able to pick it up without a problem (like Trainspotting fr'example). I have only a vague clue what's going on but there does seem to be a lot going on and organically so.

I feel guilt about never having seen this. You can't see everything but you should obviously see the canon entries of each genre. Have you seen Hoop Dreams? And, if you have, are you horrified at my negligence? Berate me in the comments or join in the sheepish guilt.
*