Wednesday, January 13, 2010

The FB Awards Begin: BEST ENSEMBLE 2009

It's the tenth anniversary of this site's awardage. For new readers, a little history, Nathaniel (c'est moi) started a Zine in the 1990s (a Julianne Moore centric issue to your left) called "FiLM BiTCH" which became a website and then was renamed The Film Experience in 2000 because "bitch" is soooo 90s... unless it's pronounced "bsssh, please". Also: bitch misses the point since the awards are not snarky takedowns of movies but a celebration of the year's best. But I've never changed the name of the awards for nostalgia's sake. Enough with the history lesson...

[insert drumroll here]

BEST ENSEMBLE ! SAG went for An Education, The Hurt Locker, Inglourious Basterds, Nine and Precious which are respectable or understandable choices -- SAG goes crazy for big casts and star-heavy films. The BFCA chucked a couple of those titles for casts both big (Star Trek) and small (Up in the Air). Oscar doesn't have this category -- and I've always been okay with that though I have wondered why there's never been a prize for casting directors.

What I look for in an ensemble is multiple actors acting as a cohesive unit as opposed to a lot of people acting within the same movie. Which is why, for example, I'd never vote for Nine even though I like the movie more than most people. That musical has a large cast but they're basically performing solo and then the scenes are tied together. If only Guido's women had put on roller skates and body-slammed each other.

Whip It a FiLM BiTCH Best Ensemble nominee

Give me several people in a frame and I'm as happy as a clam. Long live the wide shot! God I miss Robert Altman whenever this topic comes up.


Obviously, I'd love to hear yours, too.
*