Tuesday, January 5, 2010

USC Scripters Awards Ignores Its Programming, Loves the Prawns

Here's how the USC Scripters, an annual book-to-screen honors organization describes itself on their own website
Established in 1988, the USC Libraries Scripter Award is an honor bestowed annually by the Friends of the USC Libraries in recognition of the best film adaptation of a book or novella, and is given to both the author and screenwriter. By honoring the literary artistry and collaborative process of turning a book into a screenplay and ultimately into a film, this unique award acknowledges the full spectrum of the writers' creative process.
<--- [drawing source]

So... yeah.

So I'm not sure how District 9 was even eligible, since it's based on a short film, but these 'Library Friends' went there anyway. Are they also experiencing inexplicable cravings for catfood?!?

Their nominees:
  • Crazy Heart
  • District 9
  • An Education
  • Precious
  • Up in the Air
Crazy Heart and District 9 sure are picking up last minute awards steam, aren't they? I'm happy for District 9 even if it isn't one of my "favorites" just because it's such a nontraditional choice for awards season glory and more thinking outside the box is always good. This could well be the Oscar Adapted Screenplay list, too, although there's a number of other possibilities: Invictus, In the Loop, Where the Wild Things Are (I realize that's just me dreaming... but seriously, how hard must that have been to adapt?!), The Road, The Informant!, A Single Man and though I doubt it's happening now I suppose a posthumous nod for Anthony Minghella on Nine would occur to at least some voters.

The Crazy Heart case makes me a little befuddled, too. It made Kate Winslet "come undone" but it didn't do much for me at all apart from Bridges and the music (both wonderful). I'm not sure what people are seeing in it otherwise. Or are two elements enough to make a movie one of the year's bests? I saw something overly familiar and repetitive when I looked at it. But I should stop resenting it* pronto and just love that they're finally going to get around to honoring my Jeff Bridges.


*I can't help it. I'm wired to resent those naked "we couldn't commit but now we're releasing it at the last second because we think we might be able to win an Oscar" releases. They just reinforce all the bad patterns of the Oscar circus and the studio mandated film ghettos.