Monday, January 11, 2010

Glenn on Kate as "Rose DeWitt Bukater"

It's "Kate Winslet Day" Pass it on.

While it may not be my very favourite Kate Winslet moment it was, for whatever reason, the one that immediately leaped into my mind when Nathaniel asked us to share. Perhaps it is residual Avatar love, but the Kate Winslet moment I wanted to highlight was the cold and watery goodbye between Winslet's Rose and Leonardo DiCaprio's Jack. By now I think the pendulum has swung back in Titanic's favour, especially with Avatar reminding everyone just what it is and was that James Cameron does so well so hopefully you guys don't try and bury me in the comments.


This scene in particular is not even the best in the film, but you have to admit that it's probably the moment that solidified Kate as a face that will be forever recognised around the world. Come to think of it, it's quite amazing to think that KATE WINSLET is the star of the highest grossing movie of all time, isn't it? The same woman who would go on to make Hideous Kinky, Holy Smoke!, Little Children, The Reader and Romance & Cigarettes.

I still think Titanic is a fantastic movie - I'd say it's better than Avatar, but is that pushing it? - and I still tear up with Winslet's Rose tries to call for help and she paddles towards that whistle and tries to hardest to get the rescue boats attention. I'm sure it's uncool to say so, but my heart goes on for Titanic and Kate Winslet in it.