Monday, January 11, 2010

It's "Kate Winslet Day" !

One year ago today, Kate Winslet took home not one, but two Golden Globes. One reader -- perhaps in jest and I apologize that I can't remember who -- suggested that ever after January 11th should be an internationally celebrated Kate Winslet Day. I scribbled it in my calendar and here we are one year later, ready to sponsor the holiday.

We're setting aside the controversy that surrounded that double -- a lot of moviegoers weren't so enamored of the performances -- because we acknowledge that in the real world, awards are often based on the cumulative triumphs of their recipients. We're not saying that's right but if you're judging on cumulative triumphs, she deserves to have more trophies than hands.

I've asked my guest bloggers to detail their favorite moment within any particular Kate Winslet performance today but since no one chose Heavenly Creatures (1994) or Sense & Sensibility (1995) -- the films that made her -- or Holy Smoke! (my personal favorite Winslet turn) or Jude (a baity period turn that didn't get much Oscar traction. Too miserabilist perhaps?)...


...I figured we'd start with you. What's your favorite moment in any of those four performances? And do you sanction an International Kate Winslet Day?
*