Saturday, January 16, 2010

FB Awards: Editing, Animation, Visual Effects

I know I should be providing Golden Globe Predictions and updating my Oscar pages. Soon... soon... but for now more of my choices for best of the year at the 10th annual FB Awards. You can read this as my Oscar ballot if you must (though I don't do 5 nominees for animated feature -- there's too few of them released for that... and I almost decided to do 5 for visual effects because, honestly, SO many movies use visual effects. Why is that category so small every year?)


While we're on the subject of editing and visual effects, I don't think I can express to you how much I love the banshee taming sequence in Avatar's 'Hallelujah Mountains'. I love it so much that I go all blank and slack-jawed and filled with only wonder and that's not just when I'm watching it but whenever I've thought about it afterwards. Suddenly I wish I had a braid that could conquer wild animals, mythological or otherwise. I'd settle for being able to ride your every day horse hear on Earth. I've only tried it once and it scared the hell out of me. Maybe I should try hang gliding instead? You can pretend you're riding a dragon... or, er, hanging from one.

It's not just Avatar. There's more love expressed for (500) Days of Summer, Inglourious Basterds and District 9, too, among others.