Sunday, July 9, 2006

"That's All"

"That's all" tossed off brilliantly and often by the grand Meryl Streep in The Devil Wears Prada has to be considered the early leader for Movie Quote of 2006. It will probably become so ubiquitous that everyone will hate it by year's end like that exuberant "Show me the money!" or the whispered, frightened "I see dead people."

Streep has to be considered a lock for a Globe nom and highly probable for the whole trifecta of nominations (SAG and Oscar to follow). But I'm hoping somewhere in this certain awards hoopla for the great lady of American cinema that people notice that this whole ensemble is sharp. That's far less likely of course. But anyway --where has Emily Blunt, who plays first assistant "Emily", been all my life? And an even more incredible question: How did I not realize that this was the same actress that played seductive Tamsin in My Summer of Love? I went home and immediately looked her up on the IMBD (always a good sign). I am officially in love.

As for Anne Hathaway, she proves a capable lead actress. Good for her. I watched Brokeback Mountain again this weekend and was surprised to find that her performance keeps on improving. That phone scene with Ennis is superb and shaded stuff. It's better and fuller every time as if I'm still catching up with her achievement. Whether you have a lot to work with and a great signature line (a la Meryl in Devil) or very little screentime with one truly complex scene (Anne in Brokeback) you deserve the hoopla when you nail it.

Brava.