Thursday, January 11, 2007

Mamma Mia! Here Streep Goes Again

It's all Meryl Streep all the time here at the Film Experience. What is going on? News is just in that Streep has taken the lead role in Mamma Mia (formerly rumored for Michelle Pfeiffer) a film adaptation of the long running Broadway musical that basically caused the über annoying "jukebox" musical phenomenon on Broadway. I've never seen the show because I love ABBA too much and I love the Broadway musical too much to combine them --something about it just freaks me out.


I will however see the movie because I can't get enough of Meryl's pipes which are just phenomenal in Ironweed, Silkwood, Postcards From The Edge, and A Prairie Home Companion. Forgotten musical fact: Meryl really wanted the lead in Evita which, after years in development hell, finally went to Madonna.

Meryl has to be the busiest fiftysomething in Hollywood. Check out her IMDB page which lists an incredible 8 upcoming films and that's not even counting Mamma Mia. Oscar #3 here she comes.