Saturday, October 17, 2009

Halfway House: The Failed Completist

halfway through the day, we freeze a movie halfway through

Confession time: I still have not seen Personal Effects, Michelle Pfeiffer's second recent straight-to-DVD mishap, the other being I Could Never Be Your Woman (see previous post). In both films the goddess has a relationship with a much younger man.

55 minutes into the movie, Pfeiffer hits on an unresponsive near
silent Ashton
Kutcher. What's wrong with him?

As one of the web's most notorious pfans, you'd think I'd be more of a completist. But I am so scared to watch it. I don't know why. It's not like I've never seen her in a disposable movie before. For all I know it's good (I scanned to the middle... having still not overcome my fear). Aside from this picture, I have only a few gaps in my Pfandom. I haven't seen any of her TV work prior to moving permanently to featuers in the early 80s and I have never been able to find her third feature film Charlie Chan and the Curse of the Dragon Queen. Other than that I've seen it all.

This failing completist urge got me to thinking: How often do any of us see the complete works of a given actor or actress? The closest I've come is Julianne Moore. I've seen her one Broadway role, I've seen her short film Not I (previous post) and I've seen each and every one of her films (and believe me that was a sacrifice on my part. Just sayin') ...except two: her cameo in The Ladies Man and her straight-to-DVD film Marie and Bruce. There's always something.

Is there any actor you've seen literally everything of? If you missed this "completist" impulse, you should probably be grateful.