Friday, October 30, 2009

Say It Aint So, Bub

Damn. Hugh Jackman has turned down a second gig as Oscar host. At least for now.

I really wanted him to come back... had such a good time last year, I did. Especially when he & Hathaway forced fantasies of a co-starring gig in a future movie musical upon me.



But then I'm easier to please than your average viewer when it comes to awards shows. For example I've read a ton of bizarro world articles in the wake of the Ricky Gervais hosting the Globes news which seem to go along the lines of 'maybe it'll finally be a fun show'. Ummm... since when AREN'T the Globes fun? The celebrities are plentiful, drunk, squeezed next to each other in sometimes revealing or incongruous table assignments. I l-o-v-e it. The Globes have always been fun. Except for that incredibly lame strike-sponsored year but let's go back to pretending that didn't happen.


If they're bringing someone back for the Oscars, my vote is for Steve Martin or Ellen DeGeneres. My dream would be somebody movie-connected who is also hilarious and can sing. If the Oscar's dont mind sharing the EMMY Host, Neil Patrick Harris would work, too. I'm sure there are less obvious names that would be great choices too... Kristin Chenoweth? Tina Fey. Hmmm. Now, it's not exactly an enviable gig, this Oscar host thing, since no matter how well you do you'll get at least a few (okay several) savage reviews. But even if the media doesn't pat the hosts on the back for their efforts, I'm sure their bank accounts are ready with a bear hug. Who would you like to see hosting the Oscars?