Saturday, October 3, 2009

This Weekend

I'll be updating the Oscar predictions this weekend as I yank myself back into my movie head with large pots of coffee and research (i.e. web surfing). As you may have heard, the all-star period piece The Last Station is back in the mix. So, is the well judged grumpy old man drama That Evening Sun with Hal Holbrook. You'll recall that I had hunch-hopes for both early in the year so I'm glad they're back in.

Which movie is next? No one knows

We rarely have a frontrunner this early on but doesn't it seem like the Best Picture race hasn't even begun? I know the media wanted to claim we were 40% finished months ago with the box office quartet Up, Star Trek, District 9 and The Hangover -- Hee. Media, you so silly! -- but I'm guessing we're only 15-20% on our Oscar way. More later today... I'll try to stay chained to the computer this weekend until I'm sufficiently in the now. I hope your plans are freer.