Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Altman Forever (1925 - 2006)

UPDATED 11/22 w/ links to other tributes


As many of you have probably already heard Robert Altman passed away at 81 years young, last night. I just heard the news and sadness is welling up in me. He is easily one of my favorite directors. You'll see at least two of his movies in my personal canon as it progresses and I was looking forward to his next project Hands on a Hardbody too.

Now of course we know that A Prairie Home Companion will forever be his last film. Since it plays like a swansong, that's a sweet parting gift from the auteur to all of us. It's so wonderful that he never stopped working. The cinema needed this man and I'll miss him as a movie fan.

How are you feeling? Tell us your favorite Robert Altman memory in the comments.

Other Altman tributes around the web:
Cinemavistaramascope * Coping Mechanisms * ...Deep In Your Eyes * Life's a Bitch * popbytes * Stale Popcorn * or hey, Greencine Daily always comes through. They have a list of tributes.

There's also an excellent article from Stephanie Zacharek at Salon and did you know that me pal Susan P of Oscarwatch fame was one of the last people to interview the great auteur? You can read that piece here.