Saturday, November 4, 2006

Neo Portraiture

I am generally opposed to the biopic, the shapeless and bloated dramaticization of true lives. But what is this new and unusual development? Biopics have been busting out that have no regard for the undramatic principles that have always bound them?



You mean I don't have to watch the person as a child experience an [event, tragedy, talent, accident] that forever shapes (and simplifies) them ? And then I don't have to watch them become famous/infamous/important ? And then I don't have to watch them struggle with addiction, fame, self sabotage, or some "ism"/"phobia" only to (path A) triumph, fade, and then die? (path B) succumb and die? Instead I get to watch characters based on true life characters that feel like fully rounded fictional characters. You mean they're letting writers and auteurs actually write and direct rather than reenact?!?

I'm so confused. Where are my Rays and Gandhis? Where have Frances, Frida, Evita and Kinsey gone? Please stick to the formula, Hollywood! [/sarcasm]

I'm calling this new breed of biopic "neo portraiture" because they just don't feel like the generic biopics that buzz around each year uselessly hogging awards with lazy self importance. The ones who scream "I'm about someone famous. They did something important. They mean something to you. Therefore, so do I!"

Even if the individual films in this new subgenre are far from perfect, even if they aren't fully formed, I love them for trying to find a new way. Here's to the artists painting fresh portraits.