Monday, March 31, 2008

Links (Plus Bette Davis)

Overheard at the Movie Theater
After the trailer to Nicolas Cage's latest action travesty Bangkok Dangerous ended...
Smart Guy Behind Me: It's like an SNL skit.
Smart Girl Beside Him: Seriously
Oh, yes... links
A Socialite's Life something is very wrong with Lara Flynn Boyle's face. And not in the way that something is wrong with Nicolas Cage's face.
Kenneth in the (212)
Cheyenne Jackson is on the cover of The Advocate. Mmmm, Cheyenne.
The Reeler rounds up the best of the New Directors/New Films series here in NY

Evening Class interviews the director of Sockets a new queer horror film hitting DVD that's got obvious Cronenberg influences
ScreenDaily talks to George Clooney about Leatherheads and Burn After Reading. I'm so happy that George is doing comedy. I think that's his true gift.
Moviehole Jason Biggs taking over as Spidey? Um...
This Distracted Globe on Blade Runner. I don't know what it is but every time I chance upon a review of Blade Runner I read it. I probably don't wanna know how many reviews of this movie I've read.

GreenCine Daily rounds up the blogs paying homage to Bette Davis as we approach her centennial (April 5th). You know. I think the first time you see a true star has a lot of impact on how you respond to their whole career. It took me a really long time to get over my early images of Bette Davis. When I was a wee kid you would sometimes see her on TV and she was this weird ancient chain-smoking lady... the first movie I saw her in was Return to Witch Mountain (1978) --I was really into those Witch Mountain movies. So when I started watching her movies, I went backwards. Whatever Happened to Baby Jane, All About Eve. But I'm still not as well versed in classic Davis as I should be and whenever I see something really old like Three on a Match or especially Jezebel or Now Voyager I'm just thrilled to be looking at her. Can't pry my eyes away. Must see more. Soon.