Monday, March 10, 2008

New York's Best Theater?

You have to love the Ziegfeld Theater in Manhattan. Check out their spring lineup. It's fun that they're starting their spring with musicals since there's no better place to see a showtune filled movie in NYC. There's always a ton of energy in the room and it's a massive space that often sells out... at least for the special events or opening weekends. I can't even begin to describe the elation of seeing Moulin Rouge! on opening night there or the oddity of standing in a huge line to see Barbra Streisand in a Funny Girl revival a few years back. Huge lines... for an old movie. I love this city. Here's a photo which probably doesn't give you enough sense of how big the space is. Big screen. Lots of seats. The way it should be.


The Ziegfeld is also where I had my one and only real life sighting of Michelle Pfeiffer (at the premiere of The Story of Us the year I moved to the city) so you know it's holy ground to me.
*