Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Julie & Julia, Twin Teases

Today, just as I was hard boiling eggs both brown and white this poster arrived (thx Ziyad) in my inbox. I'm not making this up! Is it coincidence or a cosmic sign to pay attention to this movie? [Meryl Streep's third massive summer hit and 16th Oscar nomination coming your way]. For what it's worth, I've just talked to somebody who has seen the movie and he says 'Two leads. Meryl might even be in the movie more than Amy' so I guess my early Oscar predictions were unsound and they really did alter the book as significantly as previously suspected. And I guess that's why the tagline is "Based on Two True Stories" and I guess that's why they're crediting the source material as not just the book that shares the film's title (Julie & Julia) but Julia Child's autobiography My Life in France. And I guess that's why I'm saying "Mea culpa".

There's nothing better in the world of movie marketing than the teaser poster. 89% of the time the teaser is better than the eventual, and eventually generic, official poster. This poster is too/two adorable. Julia Child taught me how to make omelettes so it's touching, too. Soon these tiny delicious ovals of joy will be replaced by the giant floating heads of Amy & Meryl . Dairy products can't sell movie tickets but those ladies can.
*