Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Curio: Mia Farrow in 1974

Alexa from Pop Elegantiarum here with another film curio. Since Mia Farrow turns 65 today, I thought I'd feature one of my prized pop culture possessions: the debut issue of People magazine, featuring on its cover a resplendent Mia as Daisy Buchanan in The Great Gatsby.


Since witnessing her innocent glee in an a-line dress in the opening scenes of Rosemary's Baby (my favorite film), I've had a special love for Mia Farrow. And while Gatsby is certainly not the best of her films, her translucent quality fit Daisy Buchanan well. As Pauline Kael said, "she has refinement in her bones."

The issue features some observations from Scottie Fitzgerald, F. Scott Fitzgerald's daughter, who visited the Gatsby set. She had this to say about Mia:


"When I first saw Mia Farrow on the set I thought she was ravishing, just breathtaking. The New England summer sun was hitting her face under this lilac chiffon hat and she looked just like my father's Daisy Buchanan should look."


Something else in Mia's performances stands out to me, more so than her particular beauty, and especially in her work with Woody: a sort of motherly eccentricity that I find endearing, and totally unique. Happy birthday Mia!