Sunday, February 7, 2010

Site Updates. 2010 Ahoy!


With 2010 well underway and arguably the first big new movie about to open (The Wolfman) I want to get a bit more organized. Over at headquarters, I've updated the review index pages so that you can find things easier and 2010 now has a grades page which you can also access from the sidebar here (under screenings/reviews) if you like to follow along as the year goes.

2009 Awards: Art Direction, Best Sound Mixing and Sound Editing have been added. Every time I think I understand sound in film, I learn something else technical that throws me. So my awards are always a mix of thought about which films relied on their sound and used it expressively and which movies are most pleasing to the ears for a variety of reasons (i.e. not always explosions). As for art direction, don't you sometimes just want to crawl into these worlds and look around and touch everything. Coming Soon: Costume Design, Cinematography, Actor, Actress and Best Picture.

I've also reposted an overview of my favorite films by year. I'll fill in with more details later once we're clear of Oscar season but for now it's just the top film.