Friday, December 5, 2008

File This Curiosity Under "Very Curious Indeed"

.

JA from MNPP here, asking the question: Why mess with a great thing, Darren Aronofsky? According to this piece at MTV, Aronofsky is considering making a new-ish version of his 2006 stunner The Fountain.

"“It wouldn’t be a ‘director’s cut,’” he said — more like an alternate story told with the addition of unused footage from the first go-round. This would be a complicated project on a couple of levels, though, and it’s at least a few years away."

It's been awhile and my memory is hazy but for some reason I had thought that the original version Aronofsky had been working on with Brad Pitt in Hugh Jackman's role never actually got around to filming anything. Am I nuts? I could've sworn that Pitt backed out right before shooting was set to commence, thereby throwing the project into turmoil that took a couple of years from all of the world's Aronofsky-movie-watching abilities and made me dislike Pitt for a bit. (And Bradley appears to be playing the same ditching game with Darren again on The Fighter; will you ever learn, Darren?)

I guess I must be nuts if Aronosfky has gone on the record with hopes of integrating this lost footage together into some Franken-Fountain monster thing. I suppose there must've been some effects work and the like done early and that's what he's speaking of?

As far as I'm concerned Aronofsky is a genius and I will watch whatever he wants to make. But I'm perfectly happy with The Fountain as is and I know he had a frustrating experience with the project but I'd rather he just went and made new movies and not turn this into something like Ridley Scott's fifty versions of Blade Runner. If Rachel Weisz turns up on a unicorn, somebody's going to get a very stern talking to!
.