Thursday, February 5, 2009

We Can't Wait #17 Drag Me To Hell

Directed by Sam Raimi
Starring Alison Lohman, Justin Long
Synopsis Lohman gets cursed by the scary old lady she's gone and pissed off. Horror apparently ensues!
Brought to you by the director of For The Love of the Game and the writer of The Nutt House
Expected Release Date May 29th


JA: I feel as if I could just type the sentence "Sam Raimi has made a new horror movie" and leave it at that, but I've discovered there are people in the world that that sentence means nothing to... a fact that I find way scarier than any ghouls or goblins or scary pissed-off old ladies with cataracts and grudges. Because the sentence "Sam Raimi has made a new horror movie" turns my insides into a warm, happy goo, and it ought to goo-ify every last one of you too!

Oh sure, it's not Evil Dead 4 -- and hell it doesn't even appear to have Bruce Campbell anywhere in it. Blasphemy! -- but it's... well, it's Sam Raimi making a new horror movie. Sam Raimi made a new horror movie! That's enough, yo.

Joe: This one definitely popped for me as I scanned the new year's movie offerings. Will the ensuing years making un-horrific movies have dulled Sam's senses or sharpened his technique? I'm really hoping for the latter. Plus Alison Lohman gets something different to do for the first time in forever, and all you Justin Long-haters out there will get to enjoy what will doubtless be his gruesome death. Something for everyone!



Fox: There are "Justin Long haters"? How?!?

I pretty much second everything JA said in his kick-off. I'm very anxious to see Drag Me To Hell because I'm hoping to see Raimi having fun (again) the way he did prior to A Simple Plan. Watching his stuff from Evil Dead thru The Quick And The Dead, you can feel the spontaneity and experimentation that went into making the film. It was exciting! I haven't really felt that physical presense of his since then. But I am optimistic!

Whitney: Justin seems to have had a really busy year. I was scanning the list of anticipated films and saw him in a whole bunch of movies. Remember when he was in Galaxy Quest?

As for Sam Raimi, I do have hopes for this film, but I just don't see Raimi returning to his earlier style after becoming such a hot Hollywood item.

Nathaniel: Whitney, I suspect that Raimi has actually been itching to return there. I'm not much for horror ["We know. Shut up!" shout all the readers] but I did deeply dig his visualizations for that first Doctor Octopus attack in Spider-Man 2 and I understand through osmosis that it was filmed in the style of his horror films? It did feel somehow cinematically joyous in its murderous intent so I think Raimi likes to violently kill things real dead on celluloid. Just a guess.

On the other hand it's not my genre and it's Alison Lohman, so it's certainly a horror. For me. I'm scared even before the first reel. We'll see...

What about you out there, will you see?
In case you missed any entries they went like so...
*
We Can't Wait:
#1 Inglourious Basterds, #2 Where the Wild Things Are, #3 Fantastic Mr. Fox,
#4 Avatar, #5 Bright Star, #6 Shutter Island, #7 Scott Pilgrim vs. The World
#8 Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus, #9 Nailed,
#10 Taking Woodstock,
#11 Watchmen, #12 The Hurt Locker, #13 The Road, #14 The Tree of Life
#15 Away We Go, #16 500 Days of Summer, #17 Drag Me To Hell,
#18 Whatever Works, #19 Broken Embraces, #20 Nine (the musical)
intro (orphans -didn't make group list)

*