Tuesday, February 3, 2009

There is Nothing Like A Dame Two Dames

Dame Judi Dench



Dame Jude Law


It somehow escaped me that Jude & Judi had made a film together for auteur Sally Potter. I love it when name actors do one for their art. Well played, ladies.

This film, a treatise on the commodification of beauty, is called Rage and Jude plays "Minx" a supermodel whose beauty is deteriorating. Law is almost always at his best when he plays up (or directly against) his considerable beauty so I'm all kinds of excited to see him work his star mojo here. The rest of the cast is equally to die for: Eddie Izzard, Dianne Wiest, Bob Balaban, Adriana Barraza... Someone pinch me! Is Potter trying to possess my very soul?

Her films aren't always "good" but they're always worth grappling with whether they be rhyming oddities (Yes) beautiful disasters (The Man Who Cried) self-involved larks (Tango Lesson) or... you know, garden variety masterpieces (Orlando). Had I known about this movie, which premieres at Berlinale later this month, I would have put it high up on my "We Can't Wait" list.

Related Post Jude Law #1 Actor of the Aughts (the first half anyway, 2000-2005)
*