Monday, November 12, 2007

A Link Under the Influence

Harpers lengthy piece on Michael Haneke (Caché, Funny Games)
'A World Without Writers' hilarious YouTube piece re: the writers strike
JJ writes a letter to Sidney Lumet (on Before the Devil Knows You're Dead)
Evening Class There Will Be Blood @ the Castro
Film Brain returns to Diva (1982) on its 25th Anniversary
Peter Debruge "Dare You Not to Laugh" on No Country For Old Men

Navel Gazing: Lately I've been feeling way off my game (not just as a blogging writer). Which reminds me of this awesomely true cartoon by Hugh @ gaping void: cartoons on the back of business cards one of my favorite visual blogs...


I realize most big movie blogs aspire to nothing more than regurgitating press releases and sharing an opinion or three about what'shotrightnow but I'm always striving for more: original content, a mix of serious and silly, interesting angles, classics & current, participatory goodness, etc. It's a hella lot of work and sometimes it gets me down. Particularly when traffic is down or I feel like I'm not at my best [/whining] [/exhaustion] [/self pity]

I'm not sure what this means for the future, whether the 2007/2008 oscar season will be my last or whether this is a mere bump in my road or whether I'll add regular writers who aren't named Nathaniel R, or whether I'll just have to cut back. I'm just having a spot of trouble with the universal work/life balance problem. Send me notes of encouragement [/Nathaniel's inner child needs hugging]
*